Monday, December 22, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

I am a sunny west coast boy. When I was growing up you had to "go" to the snow. If the snow came to you there was always a quick glance to the horizon checking for an ominous set of horseman. Now I am a sunny west coast boy living in upstate Siberia wondering why I took that left turn at Albuquerque. I am learning quite a bit about winter. For example: I never knew I could walk on mud and not get muddy nor that snow can drift like sand dunes but feels nothing like sand when you drive over it. This weekend NY conducted a snow storm just for our family. It was a celebration of our first winter in NY. The week prior was a celebration in solid ice. They are pulling out all the stops for our arrival. So nice. Not that I mind the cold - winter snuggling is extended by a several months as is the consumption of Hot Chocolate. Our kids love the snow and dressing up like stuffed pillows before rolling, throwing and stacking every available flake. So I fully expect my son to move to the west coast when he gets married and wonder at the soft gritty dunes, far off snowy mountains and sneak a peak at the horizon when his neighbor wears shorts and a tank top on January 1st.